Monday, October 21, 2013

"Oh, That's Different" No. 1

In the past week, I've had several instances when I just stop to think, oh, that's different. So I've decided to make a recurring feature on this blog of things that stick out to me. Here's the first installment:

1. Lame concessions, intense fans at sporting events. On Tuesday night, Scott and I went to watch Brazil take on Zambia in the Gillette-sponsored Brasil Global World Tour. It was held at the Bird's Nest, where many of the track and field events took place during the 2008 Olympics. We decided not to eat dinner because we thought there would be decent food and plenty of beer.

Outside the Bird's Nest.



No and no. The food consisted of a few bags of chips, some caramel popcorn and a hotdog that really was just tubular meat with a stale bun around it. Alcohol isn't served at games because Chinese fans are, well,  intense enough. Every time the soccer ball got within 40 feet of the net you'd here this WOOOOOAAAAHHHHH race through the crowd, with people jumping out of their seats. We did find one cultural connector at the game: the stadium wave, which we did multiple times during the first half when the score remained 0-0. (Brazil, of course, eeked out a win in the second half.)

Brazil vs. Zambia at the Bird's Nest.


2. Toasting. Our new friend Josh, who we saw on Friday night, gave us some invaluable advice when it comes to saying cheers. When you toast with the Chinese, you want your glass to be lower than the other people at the table -- especially if you're a foreigner. It shows respect and deference to the individuals you're with.


3. A love of '90s music. Over the past week at bars, restaurants and the Bird's Nest, we've heard '90s classics such as Janet Jackson's "If" and the Quad City DJ's "Come 'n Ride It (The Train)." I could really get into this cultural aspect. (Claire, if you're reading, I'm sure you're squealing with excitement right now.)

Gotta love some 90s music.

4. Slurping soup. It happens all the time and is completely normal. I'm not sure if I'll come around to this, but I think Scott will be on board soon.

5. Snapping fingers at a waitress or waiter. I totally thought this was rude, but it's the custom. You don't really say thank you when a dish is brought out and to get his or her attention, it's common to snap your fingers or wave frantically. Can you imagine what would happen in American restaurants if this occurred?

That's all for now.  

5 comments:

  1. I AM READING THIS! China knows what's up. Although the Quad City DJs are not the best the 90s have to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! And yes, obviously Quad City isn't the best -- but finding a pic of their single cover was amusing. I think you need to come here and show the Chinese how a '90s party is done. Miss you!!

      Delete
  2. I love it! I wanna see more! Are you doing Instagrams, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! I haven't started doing Instagram, but good call. I'll try and see if I can link it to the blog! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just for you guys, I'm going to start snapping my fingers to get a waiter's attention. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete