Sunday, August 9, 2015

"Oh That's Different" No. 7

It's summer time in China and there's no better time to observe some new customs:

Office shorts. 

1. Shorts are totally acceptable as office wear in the summer.

Seriously. Silky, cotton, even borderline athletic shorts are seen in my office building. And you don't even have to wear heels with them to dress up the look!


These booties would probably be considered big in China. 

2. Some Chinese men don't like big butts.

The other night we went out to dinner with a Chinese co-worker of Scott. He's thinking about going to business school in America and somehow we got on the discussion of him finding a wife there ... which of course led to him telling us he's not interested in American women. Particularly those with blonde hair and big butts. Which, of course, led to me explaining the song and first stanza of "I Like Big Butts."


Us at our teacher's wedding. 

3. Weddings can happen any day. Like on a Monday.

Our Mandarin teacher just got married and the actually ceremony happened on a Monday. The date, June 15, apparently is auspicious (according to our teacher's mom) and that takes precedence over whether the timing may inconvenience people who, say, work.


My latest pedicure. Orange with polka dots. 

4. Nail art is awesome.

When in Rome, right? My summer pedicures have taken on a new look, as I'm surrounded by women who spend lots of money on getting detailed, intricate designs on their nails and toenails. While I'm not brave enough to get mini rhinestones yet, I have taken to a few designs this summer. It's ridiculously fun, even if Scott thinks it looks a touch childish.


He's everywhere ... especially in classroom materials. 

5. Mao phrases are found everywhere. Even in modern-day tests. 

I'm currently studying for the HSK level 3 exam, which, if I pass, will mean I can read Chinese characters on the same level as about a first grader. As I've taken practice tests, some have involved Chinese sayings, many of which come from Mao Zedong. Here's an example: "Study hard and make progress every day." I guess I should consider it a two-for-one lesson, learning to read Chinese characters and get to know some common Maoisms.

No comments:

Post a Comment